ETP: Effective Teaching Project
To ensure that all families and community stakeholders understand the importance of effective teaching (ET) and are prepared to advocate for local and state policies that ensure that all students have effective teachers and that our highest need students have equitable access to highly effective teachers.
Phase 1: Education & Awareness
- Increase awareness, in collaboration with district officials, administrators, teachers, teachers union, parents, community based organizations and congregants, on the importance of Effective Teaching to increase educational outcomes for students in San Bernardino City Unified School District.
- Compile information from policy briefs and research articles on Effective Teaching practices.
- Develop a fact sheet on effective teaching indicators that outlines best practices of effective teachers.
- Conduct leadership workshops to build capacity of parents, community based organizations and congregants to participate in classroom walk-throughs at the elementary, middle and high school levels in order to recognize effective teaching in a learning environment.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop an organizing strategy to address effective teaching practices in SBCUSD.
Phase 2: Local Engagement
- Conduct 3 leadership workshops for parents, students, community based organizations, and congregants to develop an education rights statement on effective teaching practices that are culturally relevant for their children.
- Develop and administer a survey to gather feedback from parents on their perceptions of effective teaching in their children’s school.
- Engage in public actions: school board meetings, press events, public forums/symposiums.
- Provide recommendations to San Bernardino City Unified School District on best means of presenting data related to Effective Teaching practices to parents.
Phase 3: Statewide Engagement
- Develop a cohort of parents, community members and congregants that advocate at the state level for policies that ensure equitable access to effective teachers for all students.
- Create an informed statewide network to engage in ongoing efforts to inform policy agendas on the importance of Effective Teaching for increased student outcomes.